YOU'RE IN THE CENTER OF IT ALL
Parking & Transportation COVID-19 Updates:
To learn more about how Commuter Services is operating during COVID-19, please visit their website for the most up-to-date information regarding parking permits, shuttles, and SafeRide updates and hours of operation.
getting around campus
The U has a free shuttle system that can transport you around campus. The Shuttle Tracker is the best resource to see where the current shuttles are and estimate the timing of your next ride. Find the shuttle tracker at uofubus.com or download the TransLoc app from your mobile phone's app store.
Hour of Service: The campus shuttles operate Monday through Friday 6 a.m. – 11:30 p.m. depending on the route and are available free of charge to University of Utah students and public.
SafeRide provides a safe and reliable mode of transportation on campus to ensure safety during night hours. This free service is available to the university community but is especially meant to serve students on campus at night who need a ride to a parking lot, to their housing area, or to another building on campus. For more information on SafeRide, visit the Commuter Services website or call 801-585-6471.
Hours of Service: SafeRide operates Monday through Friday 6 p.m. - 12:30 a.m
Getting around greater salt lake city valley
Tap on, Tap Off! Remember that being a student at the U gives you access to all public transportation (bus, TRAX, Frontrunner) in Salt Lake City at no additional cost, just using your student ID (UCard).
Explore beautiful Salt Lake City without having to find parking or pay for gas. There is a light rail (TRAX) stop right next to the Marriott Honors Community that will take you throughout the Salt Lake valley. Simply tap on when boarding the train or bus, and tap off when leaving!
Wondering how to get to the ski resorts from the University of Utah? Learn more here.
For more information about UTA services, visit Commuter Services.
Selecting a parking permit
On-campus residents are strongly encouraged to leave their vehicle at home. However, if you need to bring a car to campus, please keep the following in mind:
- Students need to purchase a parking permit through University Commuter Services
- Parking spaces are not guaranteed nearby your housing building
- Parking lots may close during campus events
- Visitors and guests can purchase temporary guest parking passes online through University Commuter Services
HRE Residents can select from the following permit options:
- Housing U (HU): Valid in all Housing area lots, U permit lots, and A permit lots that allow U parking after 3 p.m.
- Housing CU (HCU): Valid in all Housing area lots, U permit lots, the Central Garage, Lassonde Studios, and A permit lots that allow U parking after 3 p.m.
- Housing SHU: Valid in Shoreline Garage level one, U permit lots, and A permit lots that allow U parking after 3 p.m.
- M Permit: Sold to anyone affiliated with the University who wishes to park a motorcycle on campus. Motorcycles must be parked in designated pads around campus. They can also park in regular vehicle stalls, provided the appropriate permit is purchased.
Please visit Commuter Services for all parking-related questions and to purchase a parking permit.
Click here for a detailed parking map.
Click here for a detailed parking map of the new Shoreline Garage.
Parking at the University of Utah is entirely virtual, meaning your license plate serves as your parking permit. Housing & Residential Education (HRE) residents have three different options when signing up for a parking permit. The best option may be based on where you live and how you intend to use your vehicle.
To purchase a parking permit, go to Commuter Services Parking Portal
Students parked near the Huntsman Center are occasionally required to move their vehicles during athletic events. The overnight parking lots listed below allow students to move their cars for the night without worrying about parking violations. The map at the bottom of this page can be used to find the location of each parking lot.
Overnight Parking Lots:
- All Housing Lots (69, 73, 74, 78, 79, 82, 84, 87): Overnight and day parking allowed 7 days a week
- Lot 22: Overnight and day parking allowed 7 days a week (subject to availability based on special event parking)
- Lot 24: Overnight and day parking allowed 7 days a week
- Lot 27: Overnight and day parking allowed 7 days a week
- Lot 11: Overnight and day parking allowed 7 days a week (subject to availability based on special event parking)
- Lot 15, level 2: Overnight and day parking allowed Monday-Friday nights; no Saturday/Sunday overnight parking (subject to availability based on special event parking)
- Lot 15, level 3: Overnight and day parking allowed Monday-Friday when there is not a special event, no Saturday/Sunday overnight parking (subject to availability based on special event parking)
Parking at hre off-campus PROPERTIES
HRE off-campus buildings may require additional parking permits or vehicle locations. Read below to learn more. If you are a resident of an off-campus property, you will need to purchase a parking permit through Commuter Services if you wish to park your car on-campus.
Garage parking is available on a first come first served basis for residents in Block 44. Parking stalls will be assigned for a fee of $60/month. Students will be given a parking fob to access the garage and a permit tag to place in their vehicle. Guests or residents without a Block 44 parking permit should use street parking, not the garage. Vehicles parked in the garage without a permit will be towed at the owner’s expense. Students interested in a parking space at Block 44 can request a spot by completing the online form below.
Downtown Commons 1 & 2
Downtown Commons 1 & 2 offer free parking. All lots include security cameras. At Downtown Commons 2, you have the option to pay for gated parking. Please contact your Community Manager to receive access to DTC 2 gated parking if you are interested.
VISITORS COMING TO CAMPUS
Visitor parking passes can be purchased online through Commuter Services. "U" and "A" visitor day pass permits are applicable in all housing zone area parking lots.