Home Moving In / Out Room Changes

There are a variety of room types and that can be a reason why you are interested in changing rooms.  The other reason usually has to do with roommate relationships.  Your RA is a resource and is trained in facilitating roommate conversations.  The key is to have the conversation about the “little stuff” so it does not turn into the “big stuff”.

Changing to an alternate housing location may be limited in times of high occupancy as we may not have spaces available to offer to you.


Your RA, CA, or CM are all a support for you, and are trained in facilitating roommate conversations.

For additional resources, read our roommate tips blog post!

10 roommate conflict tips



If at any time you become aware that your roommate or suitemate has a license to carry a concealed weapon, and you do not want to live with a permit holder, please alert the Housing & Residential Education office and we will be able to accommodate you changing to a new room location.  You do not need to complete the Room Change Request form.


Room Change Form

At the beginning of each semester, room changes are not completed for the first two weeks to accommodate late arrivals, cancellations after the start of classes, and enrollment verification. The Room Change Request Form is available in your Housing U portal starting the third week of classes.

To request a room change:

  1. Log into CIS
  2. Under the" Student" section, select "Student Homepage"
  3. Click on the “Student Housing” tile
  4. Select “Housing & Residential Education” from the left-hand menu, then click “Housing U”
  5. Click "Housing Forms" from the menu items
  6. Select the term you are requesting a room change for
  7. Select the “Room Change Request” Form
  8. Fill out all fields
  9. Submit the form

Please note:

  • You will need to meet with your Resident Director (RD) after submitting your form. They will reach out to you to schedule a meeting.
  • After you meet with your RD, your room change request will be forwarded to the occupancy team. The occupancy team will send you a room offer to your UMail. You can view the details and accept or decline the offer in Housing U under the room change request form.
  • You must accept your room change offer by 12 p.m. on Wednesday.
      • If you fail to respond, your room change offer will be canceled.
      • Students can receive up to two offers.
      • If you accept the room change offer, your room move will occur on the Friday after you accept. You will have to move to your new room and move out of your old room within one day—your offer email will contain more details.

Please see the information in MOVING OUT for your reference on setting up a time with your RA to check out and the cleaning expectations for your previous room.