There are a variety of room types and that can be a reason why you are interested in changing rooms. The other reason usually has to do with roommate relationships. Your RA is a resource and is trained in facilitating roommate conversations. The key is to have the conversation about the “little stuff” so it does not turn into the “big stuff”.
Changing to an alternate housing location may be limited in times of high occupancy as we may not have spaces available to offer to you.
Your RA, CA, or CM are all a support for you, and are trained in facilitating roommate conversations.
For additional resources, read our roommate tips blog post!
Room Change Form
At the beginning of each semester, room changes are not approved for the first two weeks. The Room Change Request Form will open in your Housing U portal on September 7, 2021.
To request a room change:
- Log into CIS
- Under the" Student" section, select "Student Homepage"
- Click on the “Student Housing” tile
- Select “Housing & Residential Education” from the left-hand menu, then click “Housing U”
- Click "Housing Forms" from the menu items
- Select the term you are requesting a room change for
- Select the “Room Change Request” Form
- Fill out all fields
- Submit the form
- When a vacant space becomes available, we will notify you via an email to your UNID email account.
- You have 48 hours to either accept or decline the room change offer.
- If you fail to respond, your room change request will be canceled, and you will be taken off the room list.
- If you decline two room change offers, your request will be canceled, and you will be taken off the room list.
- If you accept the room change offer, you will have a full day (typically 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.) to move to your new room; your offer email will contain more details.
- Room change requests do not carry over from previous semesters; if you are not able to change rooms during the current semester, you can re-apply for a room change during the next semester.
- If you wish to cancel your room change request, you must cancel in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org from your UNID email account.
Please see the information in MOVING OUT for your reference on setting up a time with your RA to check out and the cleaning expectations for your previous room.
Concealed Weapon Room Change Provision
If at any time you become aware that your roommate or suitemate has a license to carry a concealed weapon, and you do not want to live with a permit holder, please alert the Housing & Residential Education office and we will be able to accommodate you changing to a new room location. You do not need to complete the Room Change Request form.