Do you remember your first day at college? The nerves, the excitement, the energy? Here at the University of Utah, many of our students’ first day will be moving on to campus. We want to make that day the very best experience possible and kick their year off right! Help us achieve that goal by signing up as a UCREW volunteer! As a volunteer, you are essential to the move-in process as you help students get situated in their home away from home. Potential tasks include unloading cars, moving items, directing traffic, and providing refreshments.
Move-in Week will occur on August 16, 17, and 18, 2022.
WHAT YOU GET
- If you are a housing resident, you will be able to move in early (with no added cost).
- UCrew volunteers will move in on August 13 or 14. UCrew volunteers will receive additional instructions on signing up for a move-in date/time in July.
- UCrew for students is open to returning students, faculty, staff, and student organization!
- Move-in T-shirt
This year, Move-in Week will take place over the course of three days: August 16, 17, and 18, 2022. There will be multiple UCrew volunteer shift options throughout these days. UCrew volunteers will receive additional information on shift schedules and UCrew training in July.
HRE continues to monitor public health guidance related to COVID-19. UCrew volunteers will receive training to better understand how best to work with others during the move-in process. Please note that UCrew volunteers have the potential to engage with students, families, faculty, and staff during their volunteer period.
- Welcoming students and families to campus!
- a UCrew T-shirt
- For residents:
- An early arrival move-in on August 13 or 14 at no charge
- Complete a training on August 15, 2022. Training details will be sent to you mid-July.
- Work at least one shift (approximately 3.5 hours) on two days during the move-in period (August 16-18).
- Have fun!
- You can move in on August 13 or 14. You will select a time to move in on one of these dates between 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Move-in details will be sent to residents in mid-July. Please be aware that red carts will be available for check-out during your move-in period.
- Returning students
- You will arrive to your shift location at the beginning of your assigned shift. Please note that is it very important to arrive on time!
- Locations and schedules will be provided in July and reviewed during the training on August 15.
Your most important job is to welcome students and families to the U! Practically, this could look like:
- Assisting with unloading vehicles;
- Helping deliver resources around campus too staff, students, and volunteers;
- Managing traffic and vehicles in unloading zones;
- Directional assistance around buildings;
- Red cart wrangling.
- You will wear the UCrew T-shirt provided to you by Housing & Residential Education so students and families can recognize you. You cannot personalize your volunteer shirt.
- We recommend volunteers wear pants/shorts, comfortable shoes, sunblock, hat, and glasses. Water will be provided but reusable water bottles are encouraged.
- We recommend all personal valuables should be left in your room. We cannot provide a secure location to store volunteer belongings and are not responsible for theft or lost items.
- Volunteers do not need to be familiar with campus resources. However, volunteers are typically the first people students, parents, families, and guests meet when coming to campus. UCrew volunteers assist appropriately and in a positive manner. Parents, families, students, and guests will have a wide variety of questions. During training, all volunteers receive a “Frequently Asked Questions” handout to assist in helping volunteers answer these questions. If volunteers need support, full-time professionals are located throughout campus to help answer questions, as well.
- Volunteers are prohibited from accepting tips or donations of any kind.
- For this year, volunteers must be returning students. This allows first-year students to enjoy the full Move-In Week experience!