Waitlist Offer Progress
- Currently offering to Group A -
Last update: February 27, 2024
Housing & Residential Education strives to manage student applications and reservations in a timely fashion to help students who are on the waitlist to be able to live on campus.
Note: In an effort to offer spaces more efficiently, students will receive waitlist offers through their University email (UMail) and have two business days to reserve a room.
IMPORTANT WAITLIST UPDATES FOR 2024-2025
Upper Division Waitlist
- Students who applied by the January 17 deadline but do not receive housing will automatically be waitlisted. If a student is waitlisted, they will know their exact waitlist position.
- Students' place on the ‘Waitlist’ was randomized along with others who met the January 17th deadline. Students who met the January 17th deadline will receive waitlist offers before those who applied after this deadline.
- Only certain housing scholarships, such as the Presidential scholarship, are prioritized. Please call our office with questions. The Office of Financial Aid shares prioritized scholarship recipients with HRE.
Waitlist Offer Process
- Students who receive an offer from the waitlist will receive communication via their University of Utah email (i.e. Umail). Students will have two business days to select an available room in Housing U.
- If a student receives a waitlist offer but does not reserve a room, the student is removed from the waitlist. Students may rejoin the waitlist at the bottom of the after-deadline waitlists.
Waitlist applicants are categorized based on their academic classification with the University and the gender of room the student indicates they want in the housing application. This results in the following waitlist groupings:
Waitlist applicants are categorized based on their classification:
- Upper Division: Female Rooms
- Upper Division: Male Rooms
- Upper Division: Gender Inclusive Housing
Permanent room offers are based on cancellations and availability, which makes it difficult to set an exact day when offers will be made. All offer emails are sent to the applicant's UMail account with details on how to reserve a space. Applicants will have two business days to reserve a room, meaning they will need to log back into Housing U and pay the $200 reservation fee. Students receive one waitlist offer. If a student does not reserve a room at the end of their offer window, they are removed from the waitlist. Students may rejoin the waitlist at the bottom of the entire waitlist. Being on the waitlist is not a guarantee of a room.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Can you tell me my waitlist placement?
Students will see their waitlist position on the homepage of Housing U portal.
Q: Waitlist timing
We do anticipate cancellations over the course of the summer, but especially around May 1, June 1, and July 1. We see regular waitlist movement and works to offer traditional rooms quickly once they become available. In the past several years, HRE offered over 400 waitlist offers by May 1st, and offered to all students on the waitlist by August 1st.