If there is a crime or emergency taking place, call 911. If the incident is not currently taking place, you can contact Housing and Residential Education staff.
The information below are a number of procedures in place to ensure security at the “U”. If you read this and notice we are missing something, let us know:
- All residence halls exterior doors are locked 24 hours per day to avoid unauthorized entry. The community spaces within Marriott Honors Community (MHC) and Lassonde Studios are open during designated hours. Access is only given to residents for the building in which they live.
- The Peterson Heritage Center (PHC), Marriott Honors Community (MHC), and Lassonde Studios main desks are open with extended hours throughout the academic year. Staff is available to take calls 24 hours a day by calling the front desk of your service area:
- Peterson Heritage Center: 801-587-2000 (Open 24-hours daily)
- Marriott Honors Community: 801-587-8444 (Open 7am-11pm)
- Lassonde Studios: 801-213-8700 (Open 24-hours daily)
- Kahlert Village: 801-585-1264 (Open 24-hours daily)
- Resident Advisors (RAs) live on every floor and are available to your students as a resource. They are on call every night to assist in emergency or crisis situations. RAs perform community walks through every building multiple times per night.
- University Safety
- University of Utah Safety provides security and safety services at the U. The department includes University Police, Community Services, Campus Security, U Health Security, Emergency Management, nad an Emergency Communications Center. Police and security officers patrol the campus 24/7/365. To report a non-emergency, call 801-585-2677 (COPS). In cases of emergency, call 911.
- Students, faculty and staff can request a courtesy escort from Campus Security 24/7/365 by calling 801-585-2677 and requesting an escort to a particular campus location.
- Community Services' crisis support specialists are available 24/7/365 and can be reached by calling 801-585-2677 and requesting this service.
- SafeRide: SafeRide is run through University of Utah Commuter Services, and provides a safe and reliable method of transportation on campus during night hours. The service is free and is available to the university community to those who may need a ride to a parking lot, to their housing area, or to another building on campus. SafeRide operates Monday--Friday from 6 p.m. - 12:30 a.m. Click here to learn more about how to Request a SafeRide.
- The campus alert system is a messaging service that alerts students about potential weather conditions, safety threats, and other hazards that may occur across campus. You are automatically signed up in the University of Utah Campus Information Systems and must opt out of you do not wish to receive these messages.
- SAFE U: Safe U is a resource where students, faculty, and staff can report a number of different concerns, crimes, and issues, as well as find specific resources students can utilize. You can also download the App on your mobile device. Click here to learn more.
- Emergency Devices: The University of Utah has over 150+ Blue Lights and Emergency Boxes on campus. The Blue Lights, emergency poles with blue lights on top, are an easy way for students to call for help without having to take their cellphones out of their pockets. The Emergency Boxes are on the exterior of each residence hall. Police can also relay messages out during emergencies through the Emergency Devices.